Sunday, May 07, 2006

Great Meadows Wildlife Sanctuary

Today I had planned to go see the exhibit Painting Summer in New England, at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. Furthermore, I had reserved a free ticket for a lecture about the exhibit. That would have made for a nice day. However, my friend from Rhode Island wanted to take me to the Great Meadows National Wildlife Sanctuary in Concord, MA. I had not been there for a few years and did not hesitate to accept the offer. It often has unusual wildlife and a cacophany of bird calls.

We had trouble finding it again as it is not well marked from the road. The trails were in good shape and the sun pretty persistent. Lots of colorful Red Wing Blackbirds with striking markings, Canadian Geese, and two swans were easily in view. We could see large fish close to the surface of the Great Meadows Pond. Obstructions have been erected to keep the carp from entering the major pond area, because they destroy the habitat for native species. Kayakers were paddling up and down the Concord River, coming ashore to walk partway around the Pond. I had not expected to spend so much time in nature so early this year. For the last two years I have had to be content with city parks and arboretums. The trips to Walden Pond and to Great Meadows have been an unexpected treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home