Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tudor Place


I would recommend visiting Tudor Place in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The first owners were Martha Washington's granddaughter and her husband. Many objects currently on display are original to the house. The house and grounds are very attractive.

The best part of the visit was the very gracious reception that I received from the staff and the volunteer docent. These people had a lot of personal style that made it more than just one more historic house tour. Someday I hope to return and spend more time on the property.

I have not seen Mount Vernon yet, I wonder if it feels like a hurried tour, or if they can convey some of the charm that I have encountered elsewhere in the Washington, D.C. area.

2 Comments:

At March 31, 2006, Blogger histfan said...

Dear Readerr,

I have consulted with four reference librarians and none of them has a definitive answer to this question. The Register of Historic Places and www.museumsusa.org seem to come closest to answering your question.

I did check out a National Geographic travel guide that listed 150 historic houses open to the public. It was organized by region of the country and state. It was nice with many small color photographs.

Histfan

 
At April 03, 2006, Blogger histfan said...

Bob Vila's Guide to Historic Homes is a several part video series. America's Castles was another good series. These have provided me with many hours of entertainment.

The French channel TV5 Monde has short vingettes about chateaux and their owners. And there are lots of videos about British houses and castles.

Most public libraries that have numerous branches or are part of a larger network, should have access to videos that feature historic house museums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home